CLGC2023 explores resilience
07 November 2023
CLGF continued to deliver meetings, projects and online events during the pandemic and recovery period, working in close partnership with our members. The Commonwealth Local Government Conference 2023 now represents a perfect opportunity to bring together local government stakeholders from all corners of the Commonwealth to discuss some of the most pressing issues facing local government.
Still time to register!
If you are not already registered for the event, go to the official website and join us in Kigali, Rwanda from 14-17 November.
The programme for the event is comprehensive and encompasses all elements of building resilience. We commissioned a background paper which sets the scene for all aspects of the event.
To give you a view of what we will be looking at – together with experts, practitioners and decision-makers - the conference will contain working groups on:
- Climate action for resilient local communities
- Governance for disaster risk resilience
- Healthy cities, healthy communities
- Local Economic Development for resilience Local Government Conference 2023
- Building urban resilience and inclusion of the urban poor
- Migration and resilience
- Leadership for resilience
- Partnerships for delivering the SDGs
- Youth leadership for a resilient future
- Gender equality for resilient local communities
Full details are available on the conference website.
However, key to all these topics is the availability of finance. Having the finances to support planning, mitigation and recovery is crucial. This is why the conference will also contain a High Level Capacity Development segment on Financing for Resilience. These sessions are divided into three:
1. Partnering with the private sector: looking at different financial mechanisms for partnering with the private sector. Speakers include: Hon Richard Tusabe, MoS MINECOFIN, Rwanda; Atam Sandhu, CEO, DMA Investment, UK; Dr Diane Karusisi, CEO, Bank of Kigali, Rwanda; Hon David Alabi Kolade, President, Association of Local Governments of Nigeria (ALGON), Nigeria
2. Accessing debt, investment and green finance: looking at what avenues and agencies are available to support in accessing finance and raising debt with a specific focus on investment for climate adaptation and mitigation. Speakers include: Astrid R N Haas, Urban Economic Expert; Dr Dmitry Pozhidaev, Global Advisor for Local Government Finance, UNCDF; Mayor Marvin Rees, City of Bristol, and representative of the LGA, England and Wales (UK); Hon Gary Nkombo, Minister of Local Government and Rural Development, Zambia; Japheth Habinshuti, GCOM-GAP Fund partnership, Rwanda.
3. Improving public finance management and access to data: looking at practical steps to reinforce both of these key areas. Speakers include: Philippe Camille Akoa, General Manager, FEICOM, Cameroon; Eng Tererai Maposa, LADS Africa, Zimbabwe; Blessing Chafesuka, Town Clerk, City of Mutare, Zimbabwe.
Join the discussions and be part of the solution.
Back to News